Friday, October 14, 2011

Quaterly.

Quaterly.

This whole independent reading thing is new to me. I personally don't like reading, so having to read 100 pages a week is definitely a challenge. Not only is it a challenge to force myself to take time out of my day and read but it is also a challenge to find a book that is interesting enough to me that I would actually read it.

I'm the type of person that buys all of the gossip magazines and looks at the pictures. I know that sounds pathetic, but that's all that is interesting to me. Well I do read the picture captions but those are literally like three words naming the designer of the clothes that the celebrity is wearing, so basically that doesn't count. Occasionally I will read a three to four page spread on some scandal that a celebrity is involved in but even then the only thing I can think about is how much I hate reading.

Next semester I really want to challenge myself to find a genre of books that are interesting enough to me that I will actually read them. Maybe like a series of books that I have to read more than one book to figure out the ending. But still, I just don't think that I will read them. To me, reading is not relaxing. It makes me think about things in a book and concentrate on someone else's problems and I don't know, it's just not fun to me. Listening to my ipod with the lights dim or sitting outside on a hammock with my ipod listening to music is relaxing. I wish that I could find a way to make reading relaxing to me but I just can't think of anything. Maybe what I will try next quarter is listening to books on my ipod, so that I will kind of be listening to music but not really. I don't know? It's worth a shot.

-howdini